Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Eat dessert first!

Just think of all those women on the Titanic who said, "No, thank you," to dessert that night. And for what! ­ Erma Bombeck

There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt. ­ Erma Bombeck

Eat dessert first!

Zara

--------

Dear Friends of Diana and Roger,

Last week, I chose the photo of this gorgeous dessert and composed the above message for my daily image group to be sent on Monday, March 13.

Sunday afternoon, I learned that Diana, my little sister - my only sister, passed away in her sleep Saturday night. She had just turned 51 years old. They think her heart simply stopped and she slipped away. Almost exactly a year ago Roger, Diana's beloved husband of only five years died the same way, in his sleep, at age 45. Since then, Diana had been in extreme emotional, physical and financial distress and, in spite of an indomitable spirit, she yearned to join her dear Roger.

The message of this Sunday morning to arise and go to Innisfree was chosen almost a week before. Diana and I sang this song as kids at Camp Onahlee, and would often sing it together or to each other when we were feeling wistful for a happier time. I feel that Diana's beloved came Saturday night and took her to Innisfree ­ to that idyllic place where they could be free and together forever.

Diana was very spiritual and spirited, humorous and dramatic and full of fun, caring and oblivious, a word-master, a mental acrobat and an artist at living on the edge of reality. She was my mother's Merry Sunshine, my responsibility from the day of her birth, loving and loved, my challenge, my muse and critic and my great friend. We phoned or emailed almost every day. Every Christmas we would watch White Christmas together either in person or over the phone and would sing "Sisters - there were never such devoted sisters . . . " together. When we were out and about together, she always told everyone (proudly) "this is my sister."

The dessert message also personifies my sister. Each time we got together, one of us would proclaim "EAT DESSERT FIRST" and then we'd dig into something delectable!

I will miss her terribly, the tiny terror, blonde bombshell wild child who grew up in a world that wasn't ready for her. At the same time I am so very very grateful that "the little girl from Ireland" (a nickname) has at last found peace.

love,

Zara


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home